A.K.A. CAULIFLOWER LEEK SOUP with MUSHROOMS
My family is normally not crazy about cauliflower, but they LOVE this soup! We had my husband wear a silly sleeping mask for a blind taste test. He assumed the delicious soup was made with potatoes & couldn't guess the secret ingredient! :)
- 10 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Heads Cauliflower, chopped
- 6 Leeks, chop the whites & light green parts
- 12 slices Bacon
- Bacon Grease
- 12 oz Sliced Mushrooms
- 4 cloves (2 Tbsp) Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- Salt & Pepper
1. Cook Bacon, cut into small pieces & set aside. Reserve the Bacon Grease.
Find out THE BEST WAY TO COOK BACON...without the mess.
2. In a stockpot, sauté Sliced Mushrooms in some of the Bacon Grease until slightly browned. Then set Mushrooms aside.
3. Sauté Garlic & Leeks in the remaining Bacon Grease for about 5 minutes on medium.
4. Add Cauliflower & Chicken Broth to the pot with the leeks & cook approx. 20 minutes.
5. Puree small batches of the soup in a blender & return to the pot. (Use caution. The heat may cause the lid to pop off, so remove the center insert of the blender lid, hold a folded towel over the hole & blend, safely & mess-free.)
6. Add Butter & Salt & Pepper. Garnish with the cooked Mushrooms & Bacon.
HAVE FUN FAKING-OUT YOUR FAM!
This recipe was inspired by a similar recipe originally posted by Susan Campbell on a paleo site that no longer exists.
***Please share any entertaining stories here after your family tries to guess the secret ingredient.